[TowerTalk] Tower Problems

Greg McConaughey MCCONAUG at avtcorp.com
Sat Jan 8 19:51:43 PST 2011

Our tower crew does rocks with chemicals - http://www.crackamite.com/

Drill a hole, pour and wait for a split.

73,
K7GLM
Greg Mc

This electronic message transmission is intended only for the use of
the party to which it is addressed, including any attachments, contains
information from Avtech Corporation, which may be privileged,
confidential, or protected by law.  This document may contain technical
data whose export, transfer and/or disclosure is restricted by United
States law. Dissemination to non-U.S. persons, whether in the United
States or abroad may require an export license or other authorization.
dissemination, copying or distribution of this e-mail or its contents is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please
notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from
your computer.  Thank you.
>>> On 1/7/2011 at 2:33 PM, Grant Saviers <grants2 at pacbell.net> wrote:
> Another way to go is to split the rock with feathers (also called
> wedges).  Check with a local quarry, stonemason, or grave marker
outfit
> to see if they will do it.  A series of holes is drilled along the
grain
> (expertise needed to find it) and split steel cylinders are expanded

> with the feathers.   They are very hard steel with maybe a two degree

> taper.  The mason hits alternately each one in to the same ping tone
and
> eventually without any fuss the rock is cleaved into pieces that a
> backhoe or backhoe with thumb can manage.  Amazingly (to me) you can
buy
> "splitting feathers" on Amazon.
>
> Except for the hammer drill with the carbide bit to drill the holes,

> this has been done for centuries.
>
> There is also a technique to freeze water in a line of holes, but
I've