[TowerTalk] Homebrew Radial Ring

k3hx at juno.com k3hx at juno.com
Mon Jan 10 18:30:14 PST 2011

An article in one of the popular amateur radio magazines recently suggested using stainless steel drain strainers in conjunction with stainless steel nuts, bolts and lockwashers as a way to connect radials together.

You could bolt several such stainless steel kitchen drain strainers
at their perimeters to make a device which would surround your antenna.

One might also visit a "non-ferrous" recycling dealer (scrapyard) and see if they would sell some stainless steel sheet or plate to you.

If you choose do drill your own stainless sheet or plate, use a drill press, a quality drill bit. (none of the Harbor Freight garbage) lubricant and steady pressure.

On my setup, I use bolts, "nylok" nuts, washers and "star washers" all of stainless steel.  Got the hardware from a marine hardware supplier:
Jamestown Distributors.

You might also use copper or brass for the grounding plate with stainless hardware.

72,

Tim