[TowerTalk] Compression-type PL-259s

K8RI (Roger) K8RI at rogerhalstead.com
Thu Jan 20 17:47:10 PST 2011

On 1/20/2011 5:16 PM, Pete Smith wrote:
> Has anyone had any experience with compression-type PL-259s?
Lots.  Been using crimp PL-259's for nigh onto 8 years plus...although I
have no sense of time.
Oops...You are asking about compression, and not crimp which are quite
different...or you are mixing terms?
I've never seen a compression type N or UHF.
>   I haven't
> had any in my hands yet, but they appear in places like the Farnell
> catalog in the UK, and use a compression scheme similar to compression
> Type N connectors, which seem to be much more common.
Use those too...er crimp type N's
>   I would do almost
> anything not EVER to solder another PL-259 braid connection, and my
> experience with crimping other types of connectors, such as type F,
I've gone to "compression" F connectors.  Even with the right tools I
never did get a good mechanically sound"Crimp" F connector.  Compression
and strong and weather proof.
>   has
> been miserable.  What got me started on this today was that I just
> bought a compression tool and some connectors (F and BNC) at Lowe's
> today and the F connectors, at least, seem to work quite well - very
> positive physically and seem sound electrically.  I realize the
> compression scheme for the larger connectors is different, but anything
> would be better....
I use "Crimp type" N and UHF on LMR-400 for years now with no problems.
UHF connectors are not water proof so regardless of how it fastens on
the end of the cable weatherproof is a moot point.  They will require
some form or weather proofing. I prefer the so called "flooded" heat
shrink tubing and yes I use the "heat gun" up on the tower.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/connectors.htm

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)