[TowerTalk] Crimp connector

Jon Casamajor k6el at comcast.net
Sat Jan 22 09:49:21 PST 2011

Hi Ken,
I guess that not so many guys have used monofilament to trim as several have
asked for clarification.  What I do is cut maybe 16"-18" of line and with
the coax secured in a wooden block I've set up, I clamp it in a vise. I then
use the fishing line to saw into the outer insulation moving around the
radius until the cut is cleanly through to the braid. I've also used it on
the inner insulation but it is easier on some types of foam than others. The
advantage is of course that you don't knick the conductors.  On LMR-xxx it
doesn't work quite so well so a tubing cutter or a very carefully used razor
knife gets most of the cut made which can be finished with the monofilament
usually.
I share your concern with the foil Ken and I have either picked it down a
bit with an O ring pick or finger nail and pull it out slightly so it can be
snipped with a small precision scissors. A really sharp razor knife will
trim it...I go through a lot of blades when building cables.

 73, Jon
 K6EL

Message: 6