[TowerTalk] Best way to attach radial to radial plate

K8RI on TT k8ri-on-towertalk at tm.net
Sat Jul 2 15:08:11 PDT 2011

On 7/2/2011 11:29 AM, Dan Bookwalter wrote:
> I have a DXEngineering radial plate , they suggest using ring terminals , it
> seems to me that if you solder them , if , you taker a lightning strike the
> solder would all be vaporized ? Should I just wrap the wire around the
> screws/bolts and tighten them down that way
Two issues here. Safety first.  You need a good electrical ground at the
base of the vertical and that's not the radial system. Nor is a single
ground rod sufficient.  My own preference would be one rod under the
vertical and  5 or 6 more out 8 to 16 feet in radial fashion.  All
ground rods would be connected together using bare #2 copper and back to
the ground plate Ground rod to #2 copper connections would be
cadwelded.  As for ground rods and bare #2 (or larger) the more the
merrier depending on your budget and size of your billfold.

It's unlikely a normal lightning strike would vaporize the solder or
wires. I'd use crimp connectors instead of just wrapping the wire around
the screws and tightening them down. That would work fine, but
eventually the wire will oxidize or corrode resulting in poor
connections although this is highly location dependent.   If there is
going to be much movement of the wire where it goes into the crimped
ring terminal then it should not be soldered. Aircraft use a lot of
crimp terminals where there is a lot of vibration and soldering is
prohibited as the wire will break at the wire to solder interface.  This
should not be a problem at the crimp connectors on a ground system.
Solder will eventually corrode away, but again that too is highly
location dependent. Solder will also protect the wire to crimp connector
interface.  Once done give the connection a coat of liquid electrical
tape to prevent corrosion. Some one mentioned using noalox or oxidation
preventative between the crimp connector and ground plate which would
also be a good idea.

A good ground system raises the odds in your favor. The more elaborate
the system the better the odds, but nothing will give a 100% sure
protection against lightning and you soon do read the point of
diminishing returns for cost.

As for static a choke to ground which will likely vaporize with a
lighting strike, or a matching coil with one end grounded. A spark gap
or other lightning protection device (PolyPhaser or ICE)  should be used
at the base of the vertical antenna.

Read the Lightning protection tutorial on
http://www.protectiongroup.com/PolyPhaser

73

Roger (K8RI)