[TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 102, Issue 17

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Mon Jul 4 15:30:01 PDT 2011

In a message dated 6/13/2011 12:01:09 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

k0dan at comcast.net>
Subject: [TowerTalk] BLACKENED BRAID?
To:  <towertalk at contesting.com>

Seems I saw a post here within the last year that  diagnosed the cause of
blackened copper shield?

My case: I have a  buried run of Cable Experts RG213/U Mil Spec, supposedly
good for direct  burial. It recently got nailed by the lawnmower (thanks to
the XYL!), but  there's enough stub left above ground to repair and add a
connector,  salvaging the buried run.

I looked at a few of the chopped up pieces  and the copper braid is BLACK.
The center conductor looks normal, slightly  dull copper color but in good
shape, easily cleaned with steel wool for  solder/connector.