[TowerTalk] Rohn 25G Foldover Guy Wire Tension

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Sun Jul 10 16:49:30 PDT 2011

In a message dated 7/10/2011 12:01:31 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  In the process of replacing a 50 foot Rohn 25G with a 58  foot fold over
version.  New base and guy wire anchors have been poured  and the question
of
guy wire tension needs clarification.  Neither one  of my Rohn catalogs
mention anything specific regarding the tension for the 4  guy wire scheme vs.
the 3 found on conventional installs.  I?m  wondering if using the standard
formula of 10% tension will still be okay even  with the extra guy wire.
Will
be using new 3/16 EHS and hardware and  have a Loos PT-2 tension gauge.  If
anyone out there knows of any mention  of the proper tension with the
fold over kits, I?d certainly appreciate  it.

Howdy --

    Use the normal 10% tension on each guy.  For a tower of this height, a
fourth guy isn't going to put any undue strain  on the leg compression.

    The 10% tension figure is a good safe working  load (SWL - I was one
once). Any cable, rope, etc. has a SWL of between 10 and  20% of ultimate
breaking strength. For guys - too tight and you load the legs  with added
compression; too loose and the tower will wind slam.

    25G will go to 190' @ 90 MPH with adequate leg  strength so 4 guys @
40' isn't putting much of a strain on it.

>  Also, any owners with interesting ideas of lifting the boom  assembly
would be valuable.  My plan was to use my trusty tower  assistant; Mr. ATV and
gin pole.

    What ginpole? The Rohn ER2545 is only rated up to  the 70 pounds of a
45G section so please be careful. You could also just  attach a pulley to a
horizontal and use the tower for the ginpole.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for hams