[TowerTalk] pushing a mast up at the top of the tower

w8zn at comcast.net w8zn at comcast.net
Mon Jul 11 12:37:41 PDT 2011

Take two pieces of 1 1/2" angle iron about 8" long and bolt two sides togeter, you now have a T with a 3" side (1.5 + 1.5) and the leg of the tee is 1.5". Drill across the 3" face for two, 2" ubolts. Drill one hole in the 1.5" leg big enough to hold the pin of an anchor shackle. Attach this to your mast about 8" from the end that goes into your rotor. The shackle now makes a great place to attach your come-alone to raise or lower your mast regardless how heavy it gets. I always mount a drop forged eye bolt through the flat top section pointing down inside the tower. Attach a good pully there and run the come-along cable through the pully so the come-along can be right next to the rotor so you can guide the mast in when lowering.

Terry Price - W8ZN  ex K8ISK
FM18dv - 1.8MHz thru 47GHz
K8GP - The Grid Pirates - FM19bb

Somebody (maybe K4ZA?) came up with the idea of using a basketball hoop
attached to the top end of a gin pole to make this a relatively safe and
secure activity.

73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com