[TowerTalk] New Radio or New Tower?

Dick Dievendorff dieven at comcast.net
Thu Jul 14 14:30:44 PDT 2011

I think you'll notice the performance improvement of a directional antenna
at an appropriate altitude vs an omnidirectional vertical much more than
you'd notice the difference between almost any two radios. The antenna is
much more work, of course.  50' would be fine.  I live near an airport and
was able to go up 80'.  The FAA process to gain approval is almost painless,
it only took about a week and was all done with a web form and a couple of
e-mail messages.  Ask the FAA for the tower height you'd really like and let
them tell you that it's too high rather than guessing yourself that you
can't go up over any particular height.

73 de Dick, K6KR