[TowerTalk] Self-supported tower designs

K8RI on TT k8ri-on-towertalk at tm.net
Thu Jul 14 20:33:42 PDT 2011

On 7/14/2011 11:09 PM, Al Kozakiewicz wrote:
> Straying somewhat afield from the original topic...
>
> G0EVY has a full size 2 element 80m beam (think about that for a minute).  I forget what he said it weighs, but somewhere north of 3000#.

I think he's fed it a bit as IIRC it's now 2L on 160, 3 or 4 on 75
(reversable) and 5 or so on 40. I'd have to go out to the shop and check
the log to be sure.    He's on 7.160-7.175 give or take around
0700-0800Z quite often ragchewing. Then working a few stateside
stations.  Sounds like a local except for the accent.  I've only talked
to him on 40.

I think he said he picked up the crane/lift/hoist/whatever surplus.

> He bought a used truck mounted crane with a 150' boom that the antenna is suspended from.  If you look at his property on Google Earth, it's VERY visible from the satellite picture.

A search on his call and followed by antenna will bring up quite a few
photos.  You'll know you have the right ones when you see the yellow
boom truck. <:-))

Some one asked him what he used for a rotator and he replied it was
something like a 140HP diesel or the name of the truck builder.

73

Roger (K8RI)