[TowerTalk] Rohn 45GSR and new fold-over

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Mon Jul 25 12:03:54 PDT 2011

Dave Hachadorian wrote:
> I was just poking around in the latest Rohn catalog,
> http://www.rohnnet.com/rohn-products-catalog , and was surprised
> to see that they are now making Rohn 45GSR, with solid side
> rails, with a 4-bolt flange connection on each leg.
>
> They also mention a new fold-over, with 45GSR bottom half, and
> 55G foldover section.  I couldn't find much info though:
> http://www.rohnnet.com/towers-foldover
>
> Maybe this is old hat, but it's new to me.
>

> Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
> Big Bear Lake, CA

The problem with this concept is that you still have to install
the tower by climbing and using a gin pole, and when you tilt
the tower, you only have access to the top.

A better paradigm is the falling derrick configuration, which
has been discussed previously on TT.  In that case, Rohn 25 would
probably be fine for the "derrick".  With the falling derrick,
you never climb, and you have access to the entire length of the
tower, especially if you mount the beam with a tilt plate.

Rick N6RK