[TowerTalk] Inverted Vee

Roger Parsons ve3zi at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 31 17:03:41 PDT 2011

I propose to tie an inverted vee dipole pretty close to the top of a quite tall tower. I am convinced of the need for a good balun.

Is there any advantage to electrically connecting the outer of the coax to the tower immediately before the balun? I don't think it would matter either way from a radio point of view, but wonder whether it might be better (or worse) for lightning?

There are other antennas on the same tower, so I may have to detune the dipole when not in use. The loss in the feedline will be pretty small, so I think I can do the detuning at the base of the tower??

Would appreciate comments.

73 Roger
VE3ZI