[TowerTalk] U-bolts for holes with 1 and 7/8 centers

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Mon Jun 13 16:14:25 PDT 2011

Many catalogs will sell 2 1/2 inch U bolts as intended for
"2 inch pipe" which is 2 3/8 OD.  The idea of that the U
bolt supports the weight of the pipe.  NOT that the U bolt
prevents the pipe from rotating.  Why would a plumber
care about that?  For antenna work, you
want it to "fit like a glove".  Even if a U-bolt is listed
as 2 3/8 inside width (never seen one of those), they
are not precision items and would need tweaking if you
want a tight grip on a 2 inch water pipe.  Also keep in
mind that galvanized 2 inch masts are larger than 2 inches.
I like to enlarge the holes that the U bolt goes into so
that I can focus on fitting the tubing properly and let
the ends go where they may.

Rick N6RK