[TowerTalk] Black

K0DAN k0dan at comcast.net
Tue Jun 14 09:46:19 PDT 2011

It was already black when the mower got to it. The problem could have been
there for several years.

Some years back this feedline had a Carolina Windom (off-center fed 260'
dipole), feedpoint had coax terminated in a choke. On occasion I would have
trouble getting a good match at QRO on 160M which led me to believe I might
have saturated the choke and burned it up. Eventually the antenna blew down
and it was a moot point. However the blackened braid which we speak of was
near the junction of the "feedline" and the end of the choke. If I did burn
the choke or have arcing in the coax, it could explain the blackness,
however the dielectric and center conductor are in good shape and there is
no smell/feel of typical carbon burns. I suspect this is corrosion but
cannot rule out a HV event. CSI and antenna forensics!

73
k0dan