[TowerTalk] control cables lightning protection

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 23 22:22:15 PDT 2011

On 6/23/11 10:15 PM, Kostas Stamatis wrote:
> Hello to all...
> I want to protect from lightning and static charges my rotator cable as a
> controller cable for a switch. I have seen some solutions in DXengineering
> but i would prefer a reliable homebrew solution. Anyone with some ideas?

There are a variety of devices sold to protect things like telephone or
serial data links, which are low voltage like your controller.

A lot depends on what level of transient you're trying to suppress.

A lot of the mfr data sheets describe the type of devices they use to
protect it.

I've used small gas gap devices from Philips or Victoreen (if the latter
is even selling them any more).

NE-2 neon bulbs are another possibility

THere are a variety of semiconductor devices (typically 4 layer diodes,
aka DIACs or similar) available, as well as things like diode or zener
clamps.

There's also MOVs; although I'm less and less of fan of MOVs as time
goes on.  They wear out, and they dissipate a lot of power when doing
their thing.  In low voltages, back to back zeners work better.

A lot depends on what parts are cheapest to get a hold of, and, as
mentioned above, what level you're trying to limit to.