[TowerTalk] Subject: Re: Tower Legs in Concrete

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Jun 30 09:32:00 PDT 2011

On 6/29/2011 5:59 PM, Bill Feissner wrote:
> I Installed 2 Rohn towers some years back and my instructions right from Rohn stated to coat the tower legs with black roofing tar below and above where the legs come out of the cement. I gathered the purpose was because water inevitably lays around the legs and this would protect them. These towers have been up many many years, with maintenance of course, and so far no trouble and no corrosion around the legs where they come out of the concrete.

Two years ago, I poured cement around 4 ft of Rohn 25 for a 120 ft
tower. I had previously painted the entire tower with ordinary house
paint to minimize visibility.  As it happens, I poured cement for a
second, shorter tower yesterday.  I used Rustoleum on that one.  In both
cases, the tower base sits on a 6-inch layer of large gravel so that the
legs can drain.

73, Jim K9YC