[TowerTalk] Sorry to bring up an oldie - Mast Material

K8RI on TT k8ri-on-towertalk at tm.net
Wed Mar 9 22:29:12 PST 2011

On 3/9/2011 4:24 PM, K7LXC at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/9/2011 12:01:25 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
> towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

As Steve says, the tripod mount is likely the weak point and not the
current mast.
I purchase 6061-T6 in 24' lengths with 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4 wall. No, I
would not recommend a 24 footer be used in your tripod.  I'm looking for
some stronger alloy and temper.

As for your system I'd not go more than a few feet above the tripod,
unless the roof is reinforced under the tripod and the tripod is bolted
to/through the reinforcing and not just into the rafters.

Wind is strange as to what survives and what fails.
I used to install TV antennas as a sideline back in the 60's and early 70's.
At home I had a 5L 20 meter KLM on a 40' tower, a 6L 15 Meter KLM on a
40' tower and a 7L 10 Meter Wilson (39' boom) on a 40' tower. These were
relatively light steel towers on dirt bases and 3 way guyed just below
the top of the tower.  Yes I needed larger towers but that is what I had
at the time.

I installed a new, fairly large TV antenna just above the top of a roof
mounted tripod. This tripod had two lag bolts in each leg that ran
nearly through the respective rafter in pre drilled holes so they
wouldn't split the rafters.  Just a day or two after installing the TV
antenna (remember I did a lot of these) we had a rather strong
thunderstorm. It literally split the rafters pulling the bolts out and
took the tripod right off the roof, destroying the antenna in the
process. Yet the wind did no damage to any of the big antennas on the
40' towers.

Just because a lightly built system survives a big storm, does not mean
that system will normally, or can normally be expected to survive
another storm of the same intensity. Nature is fickle!

73

Roger (K8RI)