[TowerTalk] Heat shrink Tubing

K8RI on TT k8ri-on-towertalk at tm.net
Thu Mar 10 12:59:19 PST 2011

On 3/10/2011 10:38 AM, Bill Aycock wrote:
> Friends-
> This seems like one of those "Everyone knows THAT" queries, but I have
> tried and mostly struck out. I need help on this subject. I have
> "Googled", looked at catalogs, and tried the "Big Box" stores, and

There are many places that sell the stuff.  I use the "flooded" or
adhesive lined MMM tube and do not find it overly expensive and the
quality is worth the price at about $10 for a piece of 1" and less for
the 1/2". It comes in lengths of some where between 3 and 4 feet.

http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/connectors.htm shows how I use
it. I've never had a failure using it and being lined with "hot melt
glue" it's pretty much a "cut to fit" and then "shrink to fit". It takes
a heat gun and quite a bit of heat to shrink it. A hair dryer definitely
will not work<:-))

The two sizes cover everything from RG58 through LMR-600 as well as the
UHF (PL259) and N-Type connectors as shown in the above link.  Once
shrunk the wall thickness is substantial and it adds considerable
mechanical strength to the connections and splices.

I purchase the MMM at the local electrical supply house (Medler
Electric) which I think is not part of a chain, but I would think most
any electrical supplier would have it.  It's a bit specialized for the
big box stores, but some outlets might have it or some other version.

I much prefer the tubing with the hot melt glue coating on the inside.
No further sealing of the connections  is required. If you look at the
numbers on the tubing it has both the "as purchased size" and then the
"after being shrunk" size.  The  0.800/0.22" appears to be a bit larger
than that, but it will *almost* shrink to 8X size ( 0.22"), but not
quite.  When using UHF connectors on RG58 or RG8X you use a short piece
of the 0.400/.12 size and then the .800/.22 size over the connector.  I
don't have any photos of using it on the smaller size coax, but I do use
it with a lot of 8X.

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)