[TowerTalk] Fwd: Bay Area Structural Engineer Needed

knormoyle at surfnetusa.com knormoyle at surfnetusa.com
Wed Mar 16 11:58:18 PDT 2011

Yeah it's instructive to see how contractors deal with the permit process.

I think the first thing is to accept that the permit process is not about helping you do a good job. You have to
manage that on your own.

It's not about drawing schematics about your tower project like you're going to brag in a QST article about all
the little details.

It's all about "What's the minimal amount of information needed to get the permit".

When you provide more information than expected, you become an outlier, and people start wondering why you're
doing that, and processes kick in to cover.

If you have 10 acres in an uncorporated area, far from any property boundaries, and you come in trying to get
people interested in talking about your tower project, I'm sure the first thought in their head is "Why the heck
is he coming in here for something that's not going to impact anyone?" Hmm, he must be worried about liability, so
we have to be worried about liability."

Note I'm not saying try to avoid any applicable rules. But don't think it's your job to decide whether you get the
permit.

I'm reminded of the handrails on my deck. Rules for handrails are very complicated nowadays. I went with the
letter of all applicable regulations, and built some very nice welded rails that cost a couple thousand. At the
end on the final inspection, the inspector said "Oh, we usually just allow ....".

Stuff on paper gets the most scrutinity, and exposes the planning depts to the most liability. You want your
proposal to always look like it's got all the bases covered, and is simple, no-impact.

That's reality.

-kevin
ad6z