[TowerTalk] Source for 43 ft fiberglass collapsible poles

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Sat Mar 26 12:11:36 PDT 2011

I had the MaxGain 40 ft fiberglass masts and although they are rugged, they
are also very heavy and don't collapse down into a convenient size.  I
replaced these last year with Spiderpoles.  The Spiderpoles are very light,
easy to dis/assemble, and collapse to a convenient size.  They have worked
so well that I'm now using a 60 ft spider pole to support a 50 ft dipole
against a wood fence.  By removing the top one or two telescoping segments,
the 60 ft model at 50 ft becomes an incredibly strong center support for
wire antennas.

I also discovered a great way to string wires to the tops of trees and I
don't even have to walk off my property.  No sling-shots or other propulsion
devices needed.  By using a 40 ft Spiderpole as a "lay-up stick," and a bent
coat hanger into a "V" shape taped to the tip of the Spiderpole, I can
string the wire from the center Spiderpole and "lay it up" onto the top of
the tree branches.  The wire lays exactly where wanted.   The 40 ft model is
light and agile, and doesn't become difficult to hold and manipulate in the
air.

The Spiderpoles are black, blend in nicely against vegetation and I believe
have a better clamping method than that of the MaxGain fiberglass masts.

Paul, W9AC