[TowerTalk] soldering radials (or any outdoor connection)

Michael Goins wmgoins at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 08:05:38 PDT 2011

Ideal, quite possibly. Practical and/or necessary for most hams, not
really.

And how many new hams will see this and think "Wow. There's no way I could
put up a vertical. I don't know how to braze (or have the money to spend to
do so)."

There are literally thousands of hams worldwide with regular soldered
radials and not all the connections "immediately dissolved into a white
powder." Radials soldered with silver solder and with regular solder and
some just clamped and bolted. Depends considerably on whether the radials
are buried, pinned to the grass, the type of wire and gauge, location of the
station, acidity/alkalinity of the soil, potential weather, etc.

Heaven only knows how many hams use commercial or some version of homemade
radial plates and have never have any issue with them. Me included, and for
many, many years. When checked with a ratchet and socket occasionally, they
were all as tight as when I did them initially. And not all of us have
freeze-thaw-freeze cycles that would ever loosen a connection, or one
antenna that we put up 30 years ago that we would continue to use (part of
the fun is using different antennas - at least for some of us).

Do what works for you. If the soldered connections do seem to deteriorate,
then do something else, if the antenna is a permanent one. Silver solder,
use a plate, or possible braze next time. Or elevate the vertical and use a
counterpoise - often works much better anyway.

One opinion. Mine.

mike, k5wmg

Michael Goins
Professor, Writing
University of Texas at San Antonio
Instructor, English
Northwest Vista College

Michael Goins
2508 Timbercreek Road
Pipe Creek, Texas 78063
713-417-5221
A thousand words a day, minimum. Five days a week. For life.

Michael Goins, Owner/Editor
Natural Awakenings-San Antonio/Hill Country magazine
Currently distributing 20,000+ magazines in 450+ locations here with an
online edition that gets emailed across the globe!

There are 87 Natural Awakenings editions, printing more than 1,361,150
million copies, distributed at 42,414 locations, and read by more than 3.5
million people nationwide.
*
*
*