[TowerTalk] Downside Up G-7

K8RI on TT k8ri-on-towertalk at tm.net
Sun Mar 27 11:06:01 PDT 2011

On 3/27/2011 11:35 AM, Mike wrote:
> Dale, yes, fear of lightning. My firm belief, and no amount of science (or voodoo
> theory) will shake it, is that verticals and lightning are natural partners.
> Lightning and high-mounted verticals have an absolute lust for each other..... ;-)

Wish I had photos of the Diamond (or Comet) 144/440 vertical I used for
the repeater some years back. The top of the fiberglass tube looked like
an exploded cigar and the brass rod used for the top element looked like
a half used brazing rod. <:-)) Needless to say the matching network in
the base no longer worked.

Unfortunately it also blew out the 7/8" Heliax about 20 feet down from
the antenna making it too short to use for much of anything.

That was on the old 90' tower. I think it was the only time that tower
was hit. The 45 G was hit on average of 3 times a year for the first 5
years and twice the next year.  These are just the times the strikes
were visually verified. I have no idea as to how many times it was
really hit.  Near as I can tell, It hasn't been hit since.

When the new mast and antennas go back up the club would like me to put
one of my Diamond 144/440 antennas up top for digital. That would put
the top of it at roughly 140'. I wonder how long it'd last?  I'm really
not willing to sacrifice the antenna AND the 228 feet of LMR-600 to get
to it.

73

Roger (K8RI)

<snip>