[TowerTalk] Concrete

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Tue May 3 15:07:06 PDT 2011

I have the larger Harbor Freight mixer and would not recommend the
investment.  The drum drive is poor, the Chinese motor is weak, it
doesn't mix well unless the dry mix is added incrementally, the small
wheels and stand force it to mix where you pour, or wheelbarrow it from
the mixer.

I've mixed 60 80lb bags by hand a few times.  If you have two
wheelbarrows, concrete hoes, and 3 people - two mixing and one delivery
the job isn't so bad.    Put your $ into a couple of good two wheel poly
wheelbarrows or buy a USA made mixer, eg Kushlan  600W or Kushlan 350W.

My cost for 1 yard of bagged Sakrete is the same as buying 1 yard of
premixed in an haul it yourself trailer from the local supplier (need to
be able to tow 5000lb+).  Considering the travel time to the supply yard
is 30 minutes x 4, usual access to the pour, and the fact that the
hardware store will load the Sakrete onto my pickup for free, for one
yard,  I mix it from bags.  For more than a yard, for me it is time to
truck it in, and maybe call for the Putzmeister pumper.

Grant  KZ1W