[TowerTalk] Interpreting symptoms

kurt at kuhlroad.net kurt at kuhlroad.net
Fri May 6 06:47:07 PDT 2011

What's a balum? :)

-----Original Message-----
From: w4lde <rwalters at numail.org>
Sender: towertalk-bounces at contesting.com
Date: Fri, 06 May 2011 09:13:35
Cc: <towertalk at contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Interpreting symptoms

Mike,

When I connect only the center pin of any coax fed antenna I usually get
more noise since the cox becomes an antenna and this includes the SteppIR.

Since its a new motor and balum did you do a test of the wiring
including running the element tape out a few inches per the test
recommendations by SteppIR and confirm the element is wired and working
correctly?.

Did this just happen (high SWR) or did it occur after the new motor and
balum installation?.  What resistive readings are you getting on the
driven element?  Can you read voltage changes on the output from the
controller when you command the change at the controller?

It's hard to give a WAG without some additional info.  Hope it's a minor
problem to fix.

73 de
Ron W4LDE