[TowerTalk] Concrete cost comparisons

Dick Green WC1M wc1m73 at gmail.com
Fri May 6 14:55:04 PDT 2011

That's *really* cheap! Must have been leftovers from a job, or the
construction market in south Florida is worse than I thought!

I paid $783 for a truckload back in late September 2006. I believe that's 9
yards of concrete.

The nominal specs for my Rohn 55 tower were 2.6'x2.6'x4' for the pier, and
3'x6'x1.5' for the anchors (I went with the 110 MPG spec). That's 1 cubic
yard for the pier and 1 cubic yard for each anchor, or 4 cubic yards total.

As many have noted, it's hard to dig a perfect hole with a backhoe or
excavator. The hole always ends up larger than intended, especially after
you get in and square it up with a shovel. The pier wound up closer to
4'x4'x6' and was more trapezoidal than rectangular (i.e., wider at the
base.) I estimated that it would need 1.5-2 yards of concrete. The anchor
holes were somewhat irregular at the bottom, too, so it was hard to estimate
the final dimensions. I think I estimated 1.5-2.0 yards each anchor, too.

I ordered either 7 or 8 yards of concrete, and they sent a full truckload. I
believe that's 9 yards. The tower site is on a steep hill, and the concrete
company was worried about the truck tipping over or getting stuck in soft
ground, which was unusually moist that year. So they parked in the driveway
and we used the wide bucket on an excavator to haul loads of concrete to the
pier and anchor holes. It went much faster than I expected, less than an
hour to fill all the holes. Actually, it might have been only 30 minutes. I
can't remember now. We ended up using a little more concrete than I
expected. There was a small amount left over at the end, probably a yard or
less, and we just divided it between the three anchor holes. Those anchors
aren't going anywhere...

73, Dick WC1M