[TowerTalk] DIGGING A HOLE WITH A BACKHOE

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat May 7 07:54:39 PDT 2011

On 5/6/11 8:16 PM, STEVE LANE wrote:
> What about using an auger? I am getting ready to put up my w51 and have been
> thinking about using a 36 inch auger to bore a hole 5-6 feet deep.
>
> Steve K9SL
> \

that's a fairly popular way to do bases of things (traffic lights, etc.)
  here in southern California: minimum disruption of the surroundings,
and compatible with working on a hillside.  Historically, it's been more
expensive to have a tall skinny hole drilled than to have a big cube
dug, but that changes.

You need to figure out how deep to drill, too.  That depends on what the
function of the base is.  A guyed tower is resisting down forces mostly,
and a little bit of shear.  A self supporter has overturning forces
trying to lever the base up out of the ground.