[TowerTalk] Vertical with 1 radial

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu May 12 19:45:08 PDT 2011

On 5/12/2011 12:23 PM, Tom Osborne wrote:
> Why the heck do I bother putting down all those radials under my verticals??

Because more radials reduces the total loss,  increasing the overall
EFFICIENCY of the antenna system.  Think of the EARTH as a big resistor
added in series with the antenna. A lot of radials causes the EM field,
and the antenna current, to return to the radial system rather than the
lossy earth.

Rudy Severns, N6LF, did some work on this that he published in QST about
a year ago. It, and a lot of other stuff about radial systems, is on his
website. Google to find it.

73, Jim K9YC