[TowerTalk] Vertical with 1 radia

Steve Hunt steve at karinya.net
Fri May 13 09:58:53 PDT 2011

If you research the origins of that urban myth about bumblebee flight
defying the laws of physics you'll find some interest parallels with
antenna modelling!

In short, the supposition that a bumblebee can't fly was based on a
simplified aerodynamic model that does not apply to the type of airflow
over a bee's wings. Use a more complete model which takes account of the
fact that the bee's wings encounter dynamic stall on every down stroke,
and flight becomes possible. The bumblebee *does* obey the Laws of Physics!

It's no different with antenna modelling - make false assumptions and
apply inappropriate or incomplete modelling, and you'll get silly answers.

In the absence of any rigorous field strength measurements, it's only
antenna modelling that has given W7WHY an authoritative answer to his
question about the QST article.

73,
Steve G3TXQ