[TowerTalk] Vertical with 1 radia

pehaire pehaire at comcast.net
Sun May 15 12:13:25 PDT 2011

I do not know how I got into this.  I guess I am not making myself clear.

All I am saying is that a good operator at 3DA0 and 4S7 (12,000 miles) can
hear my 50 watts and shunt fed tower with radials on 40 cw.  And they were
able to copy a signal report (5 characters).  My signal may have been down
many dbs below other signals.  But the operators pulled me out.  Operating
skill does not get all the credit it should.  I am too old to have any skill
left, but give the guy at the other end some credit.

I am sure there are antennas that would never make the contact.  I have a
friend 5 miles from me that has a 250 foot horizontal loop 15 feet off the
ground that I don't think would make the contact.  He would probably have
better luck with a long string and a pair of paper cups.

WA5MUE