[TowerTalk] Polyphaser vs. ICE

k2wd at comcast.net k2wd at comcast.net
Mon May 16 21:31:43 PDT 2011

I am using a number of Polyphaser units in line just before my cables enter my home. I have opened them in the past to discover that there is nothing more than a surge device from the center pin of the antenna side connector to ground, then a capacitor from the antenna side center pin to the radio side center pin. Matter of fact, I converted some UHF range units to HF range by simply replacing the capacitor with the same value used in a factory built HF range unit (I forget the exact value  at the moment but it was either a 0.1 or 0.01uF disc).

This does not provide any kind of static dissipation. Can I simply open them up and add a 1Mohm resistor in parallel to the surge device (antenna center pin to ground) to allow for static dissipation?

Or will this affect the original performance of the unit?

If this is ok, will a 1/4w or 1/2w resistor handle 2kw key down? I don't think anything larger will fit inside. So far the stock Polyphaser units have passed the key down test.

Thanks
Eric
K2CB