[TowerTalk] Another Ground Radial Question

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon May 23 14:35:53 PDT 2011

-----Original Message-----

A broadcast directional array would be a good example of something where you want the mutual coupling to be very stable, since that determines whether your nulls and lobes stay pointing the right directions at the right levels.

In the broadcast world, the 120 radial thing is popular (because you can build it by rule, as opposed to needing to do a performance proof, for one thing), and what Jasik and LaPort were essentially saying is that you don't buy anything by overlapping the ground fields, since they're bonded together at the overlap.

For hams, with different antennas serving different bands, or not being used simultaneously, I doubt it makes a lot of difference one way or another.