[TowerTalk] Copper Pipe Ground Rods - Driving them in - How ?

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Wed May 25 08:02:01 PDT 2011

Unless the ground is very soft, the copper pipe will mushroom and not
drive in, so a regular ground rod is the way to go as Jim mentioned.

For SDS and spline hammer/chipper drills (e.g. Bosch), you can get a
ground rod drive bit that fits over the end of the rod.  If you have
several rods to drive they are a worthwhile tool to rent at your local
rental yard.  (or find an electrician that will loan you his) I doubt
that a lesser hammer drill has enough power and mass to drive a rod
through any challenging soils.  While you will be on a stepladder with a
fairly heavy tool, it's a lot better than swinging a sledge hammer from
that height!

Grant KZ1W

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-11240-16-Inch-SDS-Max-Combination/dp/B0000695HG/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1306335451&sr=8-13