[TowerTalk] Need help with HF problems

K8RI on TT k8ri-on-towertalk at tm.net
Sat May 28 18:21:44 PDT 2011

On 5/28/2011 5:27 PM, Magnus Aronsson wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have some HF problems.
>
> To try to make this short:
>
> I have my shack in the basement of a 2-storey + basement house.
> The antennas are mainly on top of the chimney but also 1 vertical in the
> garden.
>
> The 5 coaxes and rotator control cable comes in on the side of the basement
> window.
> Before I renovated the shack I used to have my desk and all the gear
> slightly away from the window, perhaps 2 meters.
> Believe me or not but I could run a KW with my Ten-Tec Titan 425 and I had
> no problems with HF.

First, did you just move the station a few feet? I'm assuming you
changed some cables as well?
What did you change with the cables? Grounding for the station?  Are the
grounds of equal length or are they "daisy chained". Grounds should run
from each piece of equipment to a common point.

It worked fine before, Moving it a few feet (bout 6) shouldn't have made
much of a change. Are you still using the same cables and is the
equipment organized as it was before?  How about AC power tot he
station? has it been changed in any way? Rerouted, different circuit,
new circuit?

Evidently something was changed, added, deleted, or forgotten that has
made the difference.

I once had a contest style station. It went through a number of
incarnations.  It was this set-up but with some different equipment
although I did have the KWS1/75A4 in it.  (watch out for line wrap)
  http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/boat1.htm  There is a *MASS* of
cables behind that desk as it was set up to run any rig on any antenna
and you could run 4 of the 6 low bands at the same time.  I decided to
"neaten it up a bit" and harnessed everything into nice neat bundles.
<sigh> Every thing and I do mean everything talked to everything else. I
had to move the desk out from the wall and I think it took close to a
month to get it all working right *again*!

So the question becomes one of finding out what changed that is causing
the problem, not adding a bunch of chokes which may or may not eliminate
this new problem.

73

Roger (K8RI)