[TowerTalk] Jackhammer removal of tower base difficulty?

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Wed Nov 2 16:53:21 PDT 2011

I had to get this done on two tower bases recently.
Coincidentally, I ran into a guy busting up a concrete
base in a parking lot, where a car accident had damaged
a pole.

In all three cases, the technique used was to get a
very low paid person to spend an entire day with a cheap
electric jack hammer and shave little pieces off of the
concrete.  Very labor intensive.

If I was going to do it myself, I would rent a 90 lb
air hammer with the trailer mounted compressor and
try to bust it up into larger pieces.  I busted up a
concrete driveway once with one of these, and it is
clear that the electric hammers are just toys in
comparison.  However the rental charge and time
involved in transportation is such that the cheap
laborer works out better.  They usually have their own
hammer.

Rick N6RK