[TowerTalk] Attaching utility box to tower face

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sun Nov 6 16:59:57 PST 2011

On 11/6/2011 6:25 PM, Dick Dievendorff wrote:
> I have a plastic utility box that will contain lightning arrestors and TVS
> diodes for rotator control lines. I’d like to attach it to the face of my
> tower (Rohn 55G).  The tower rungs are on the order of 7/16” in diameter.

For grounding I chose to use a NEMA box
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/cablebox.htm , used two 3" wide X
1/8" thick steel strap across the face of the tower. I then bolted the
NEMA box directly to the steel. (see last photo on page) I did use
saddle clamps on the tower legs as they give a much larger surface area
fro grounding. Coax into and out of the box goes through feed throughs
on the bottom of the box. Control and rotator cables go through moisture
proof fittings that clamp on them. I've forgotten the proper name.

73

Roger (K8RI)