[TowerTalk] phased vertical feedpoint question

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 7 08:12:54 PST 2011

On 11/7/11 6:07 AM, n8de at thepoint.net wrote:
> Not if the coax shield is grounded at the antenna end.

> Quoting Alan Swinger<awswinger at earthlink.net>:
>
>> Figure as part of the vertical length.

What kind of phasing scheme are you using? Christman (two carefully cut
lengths of coax with a T)? Some sort of lumped network? Fixed 90 degrees
or 180 degrees or what? And how deep a null are you looking for?

Let's say you're looking at 1/4 wavelength, or about 10m (free space)..
call it 30 odd feet of coax.  Adding 2 feet is about 24 degrees.

A huge phasing error doesn't make much difference in forward gain (24
degrees is less than half a dB), but might degrade your F/B to -10dB or
worse.

I'd also think that other factors might actually dominate over the
length of the feedline. Are these two verticals out in the middle of a
very uniform field with identical ground radial networks.

WHat I would do is just try it and see, either way.

What you could do is cut some jumpers that are 18" long, and put them in
and take them out, and see if the performance improves.