[TowerTalk] Pinning mast?

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Mon Nov 7 12:36:20 PST 2011

I get HUGE (often in the mid-90 mph range) clear weather wind gusts here
in the spring.  These are thermal swirlers that can literally pull one
end of the boom in one direction and the other end in the opposite
direction, thereby adding in terms of torque on the mast.   I ended up
having to pin the boom-to-mast clamps to the mast and the mast to the
rotator clamp.   For reference, my two antennas have a total of 20 sq ft
wind loading and boom lengths of 32 feet and 18 feet respectively.   I
used 3/8 inch diameter grade 8 bolts (one for each clamp) available at
Home Depot (in the specialty trays) and they have held up fine for over
two years now.  You don't need grade 8 nuts ... standard Nyloc nuts work
fine since all the forces on the bolt are in shear.

I think the potential advantage of using more than one bolt would be to
help avoid the bolts reaming out the holes in the clamps or mast, but in
my opinion the mast will retain more of it's strength if you don't align
any of the bolt holes and separate them as much as possible.

73,
Dave  AB7E