[TowerTalk] Bazooka antenna

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Nov 9 22:47:17 PST 2011

On 11/9/2011 7:31 PM, Rob Atkinson wrote:
> Put your GOOD rig and amp on 3595 and put 1500 w. CW into your coax to
> your fan dipole and have a listen to what comes out on 7190.

I've done that -- in fact, I do it pretty often when i run SO2R, as I
did both of the last two weekends.

> Have a ham listen a couple miles away.

I've been doing that for at least 40 years, usually with the guy on the
other end being a damn good engineer, and I've listened to him under the
same conditions.

> Who told you it was a good rig?  The manufacturer?

Nope. I've measured some that I've owned, and I've studied test results
by good labs. FWIW, I can run my two K3s, each driving a 30-year old Ten
Tec Titan amp at legal power, into 3-el Yagis that are about 150 ft
apart, within about 50 kHz of each other ON THE SAME BAND. I did this on
20, 15, and 10 during CQWW SSB ten days ago. At 30 kHz spacing, I could
clearly read S5 signals, with some phase noise from the other rig. At
50-60 kHz, I couldn't hear my other rig unless I happened to tune to an
intermod product, which would typically be S9 or so.

> There are thousands of tribanders, trap verticals, and beloved fan
> dipoles and now, thousands of solid state broadband boxes overdriving
> s.s. garbage amps.  Maybe you should add something about a low pass L
> network tuner to your tutorial.

I'd rather warn folks about REAL problems that are FAR worse -- phase
noise making signals ten times wider than they should be, key clicks,
and splatter from intermod distortion at both AF and RF generated both
by the transceiver and that garbage amp (or by a good amp that isn't
properly tuned). Yes, L-network tuners in a low pass configuration are
nice, and I have six of them on my operating desk, all tuning wire
antennas.

About a year ago, I added the Elecraft P3 spectrum display, and have
been watching signals -- mostly CW, but sometimes SSB too. There are
HUGE differences between the -50dB bandwidth of a K3 (about 400 Hz) and
most other rigs (often 5-10 kHz).  If you want to go on a crusade that
means something, tackle THAT!

73, Jim K9YC