[TowerTalk] Hy-tower Vertical with 160M Vertical next to it

Gary Slagel gdslagel at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 17 07:13:25 PST 2011

All,

I've got a Hygain Hy-tower that I use primarily for 80M but it also loads nicely on 10 thru 40.  I'm thinking of running a 160M vertical up the side of the hy-tower, supported by the hytower but spaced 6 to 12 inches away.  Insulated from the tower of couse.  The 160 vertical will be either an inverted L or something with a loading coil somewhere near the center.  I'll use the same radial field I"m using with the hy-tower and feed it via a remote antenna switch... MFJ-4712 switch or something like that.

Is this worth experimenting with?  In particular I'm wondering
     1) is there is a problem sharing the radial field and also
     2) do I risk messing up the performance of the hy-tower on 80M.  It seems to work well now.

Thanks for your help and comments.

Gary Slagel
N0SXX
http://marina.fortunecity.com/sanpedro/351