[TowerTalk] QST switchable antenna

Gene Fuller w2lu at rochester.rr.com
Sun Nov 27 08:05:29 PST 2011

Hi Roger -
The feedline from the dipole center back to the relay box, in my  opinion,
needs to "float". The dipoles that are not being driven  depend on the
reactance from the open feedline to lower the resonant frequency of the
dipole, thus turning it into a reflector. My guess is that is would mess
things up to put all of the shields on a common ground. I use a three dipole
system on 80 and feed each dipole with a quarterwave of 72 ohm  KW twinline
followed by a quarterwave of 300 ohm KW twinline, then the relay box. I then
use three DPDT relays to put one dipole at a time onto 450 ohm openwire
feeder back to the station. If you want a real eye opener the next time
you're on your PC with a modeling program, note what happens whem you fold
the bottom half of the dipoles back to the foot of the tower.With a 100 foot
tower it brings the takeoff angle down to about 18 degrees!  What is
happening is that the horizontal radiation is being canceled, leaving you
with  resonant vertical  radiators,with the effective spacing and height
being determined by the tower height and not requiring a ground radial
system. I find my system with three dipoles and a 100 foot tower to be VERY
effective. 18 degree takeoff angle, around 3-4 dbd gain, and, depending on
conditions,  10-20 db down at 120 degree off azzimuth. Any particular system
should  be modeled to account for the number of dipoles being used, tower
hieght, and feedline characteristics, to determine the optimum feeder length
back to the relay box.
Gene / W2LU