[TowerTalk] 10M phased verticals

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Tue Nov 29 14:19:47 PST 2011

Are these phased verticals used exclusively for the multiplier station or
does the run station also have access to them?  Are they ever better than a
yagi for RX?

John KK9A

To: "'Bill and Cindy'" <wb0o at yahoo.com>, <towertalk at contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 10M phased verticals
From: "Tim Duffy K3LR" <k3lr at k3lr.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 14:44:32 -0600

Hello Bill!

Three years ago I attempted to construct a proper four square phasing
network using four 5/8 wavelength elements and 1/4 wave spacing (on a side)
for 10 meters. I installed 60 ground radials - 5/8 wavelength long (60 per
element). I could never get acceptable pattern performance.

This last summer I converted the 5/8 wavelength elements to 1/4 wavelength
using a traditional four square phasing system. Performance is as expected
with 25 dB of F/B.

We use this antenna exclusively for receiving. The 10 meter four square
pattern is similar to a Yagi antenna mounted at 50 feet above the ground.

73!
Tim K3LR