[TowerTalk] Crankup towers

K0DAN k0dan at comcast.net
Tue Nov 29 17:13:35 PST 2011

Some do, some don't. Most of my experience is with Tri-Ex towers (now Tash).
One I had had a single cable which would extend 4 sections one at a time to
about 70' height, when ne section was fully extended it'd latch the next
one. Worked OK, but everything relied on that one mission-critical cable.
The tower I have now (LM470) is proportional, it all four sections move in
harmony, so for each foot of vertical lift, each section moves roughly 3" (1
ft / 4). I actually like this arrangement better...the cabling is more
complex but there is some level of redundancy because there is s "pull-up"
cable and a "pull-down" cable. In addition, if I have the whole thing up in
the air and a big wind or ice storm is forecast, I can opt to lower it all
totally, or lower it 25%, 50%, etc., and the overall exposure is lowered
proportionally.

So far as access to the rotor, I only need to extend the (proportional)
tower to about 30' total height to have the total rotor and mast exposed so
I can get to them. This becomes a ladder climb about 20', then another 10'
climb with belt/harness. Sure beats going up the full 70'.

Not sure what you were looking for, or if I told you what you wanted to
hear, but that is the situation here.

73

dan
k0dan