[TowerTalk] UT-141 terminating conn Question

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 5 06:59:01 PDT 2011

On 10/5/11 6:24 AM, wayg at cape-vision.com wrote:
> Hi, I have a friend working on a project that involves terminating to a
> female SMA
> from UT-141 semi-rigid coax. The only connector he was able to fInd was
> at Digi-Key,
> cost $20, and they only had one in stock. He needs 3 connectors, and we
> think a more
> reasonable price could be found.

Solder, I assume, not crimp, since you'd need the tooling

Male is more common on cables.  Are you sure your friend needs a female
jack on the cable?

Pasternack has them for about $5-6  PE4008 for the male
PE4115, PE4120 are female, latter for bulkhead mounting.  They're about
$10 each for the 4115.  There are also flange mounts.

http://www.pasternack.com/   search for "SMA female 141"

Most solder on connectors are going to be gold plated (so the solder
sticks), not nickel or stainless steel.

> Could anyone offer more options? The connection will not need to be
> weather proof.

Since it's semirigid cable, just solder to a standard flange mount
connector. Maybe a few mm of center conductor exposed and soldered to
the center conductor of the connector, then a thin layer of tape, then
some copper foil to bring the shield around?

How critical is shielding, loss, or match?   What works at 10 MHz may
not work at 18GHz.