[TowerTalk] TX-455 holes

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Thu Oct 13 16:18:59 PDT 2011

Only the first of the quoted sentences are attributable to UST, the
second is my conclusion.

I have to agree that friction in the joint is good, but wonder if
tensioning to the rated torque (1000+ ft-lbs) for the bolts has a risk
of distortion that may cause functional problems.  After all, the base
and tower are weldments which will have some distortions built in.  When
I checked some bolt torques on my other tower tightened by "stronger
than average person using standard 1 1/2" combination wrench" I found
that they were tight, + or - a bit,  to the 130 ft-lbs I was applying
with a torque wrench to tower 2.  btw it took  4 cycles of tightening to
have all four bolts click at 130 ft-lbs without any motion.

There should be some clearance to get the bolts into the holes.   I
didn't measure the hole diameters prior to engaging the bolts.  Each
bolt had to be threaded into the hole in order to go through since the
holes were significantly mis-aligned.  My guess is after 4 bolts are
installed and tightened there is so little clearance that the tower
can't rock more than a few thou up and down even if the flange gap is
still open.  So, while I could measure the up/down motion with a dial
indicator, the 4'  level I plumbed the tower with won't detect it.

The calcs show the base reaction moment as 80,000 ft-lbs, (EIA-222-F
85mph 3 sec gust, exposure C)  so four 1" A325 bolts handle that.
However, the 1/2" thick A36 flanges bear on fully threaded bolts so
there could be some wearing down of the threads (and/or enlarging of the
holes) and a subsequent increase in clearance.  So again, joint clamp
friction is helpful/necessary.

This whole (black hole?) thing started when I overheard some iron
workers talking about torque settings for 3/4" A325 bolts at 380 ft-lbs
and that got me to wondering....

73,

Grant   KZ1W

snip...