[TowerTalk] Best Grease for Rotor bearings ?

K8RI on TT k8ri-on-towertalk at tm.net
Thu Oct 13 19:01:50 PDT 2011

On 10/13/2011 9:18 PM, Bill Aycock wrote:
> We have some major confusion in this thread. Some are commenting on
> Rotor bearings, while some are commenting on thrust bearings. Different
> loads, different environment.

Amen!

I had a TB-4 at the top of the tower with the big array.  Now the small
antennas were well above the top of the tower.  The tribander (TH-5) was
just above the top of the tower at 100' while the 7L C3i 6-meter Yagi
was at 115' and the cross boom for the vertically polarized 2 X 11 on
440 and 2 X 12 for 144 was just under 130 feet, or just about 30 feet
above the top of the tower.  The thrust bearing was used only to support
the mast from side to side. It had no vertical load.  The mast consisted
of 2" structural steel tube with the rotator about 20 feet below the top
of the tower. There was also a thrust bearing to keep the mast centered
half way between the rotator and top of the tower.  This also helped
keep the mast straight at the top of the tower instead of pivoting.

Again, none of the bearings supported any vertical load. That was
entirely on the rotator and well within its specs.

Yes, I knew that was one whale of a load (due to the leverage) even if
it was well within the wind area rating for the system.  In roughly 6
years (I've forgotten the actual time now) the TB-4 was shot. The races
were worn to badly the top of the bearing was setting down on the base
and would not turn.  The edges of the bearing races were razor sharp.

After the first wind of 40 MPH this was pretty much what I had expected
to eventually find although I expected it to last longer than it did.
Those 144 and 440 antennas were whipping around like a bluegill fly rod
that had just tied into a record keeping Bass. Depending on the gusts
I've seen them move from 3 to 5 feet although the mast took it in stride.

I do still have the TB-4 out in the shop so I could provide some photos
for those interested.

By the time I took them down the 144 Yagi on the right side had rotated
to about 30 degrees nose up.  Every thing else was still not only there,
but straight.
> Then-- the REAL difference-- Real thrust bearings and TB3s.  In truth,
> in most service at the top of a tower, used to steady a shaft, almost
> anything will work, except those that, like the TB3, have a failure
A TB-3 or 4 used to hold a mast straight with only a tribander or small
VHF array would probably last a very long time, but put much load on
them, particularly when it isn't turned often, and they will not last.

I have TB-3, and TB-4 bearings as well as the Yaesu thrust bearings.
None make provisions for lubrication without disassembly.  It has been
my experience that any bearing installation that is to be lubed has
provisions to do so and if they are to be difficult to reach they have
zerks to allow greasing in place.

It is my opinion and it's just that, an opinion, that typically we'd be
better off with most ham installations using a sleeve bearing at the top
of the tower instead of the typical "thrust bearing".  I do believe the
wood block and "cutting board" are superior for the way "most of us" use
them.  Ideally I'd choose a graphite impregnated Delrin lined sleeve of
6" to a foot long with a smooth shaft/mast through it. I'd also install
several zerks to grease the mast in the bearing, but more for rust
prevention than actual lube as the bearing would be more than adequate
for that.  The mast would also need to be a snug slip fit, but not tight
enough to show much resistance to turning.  As long as you could turn it
by hand should be sufficient.

The mast needs to be protected because if it's steel it will rust and
rust will destroy the wood and other bearing blocks (including sleeve
bearings) in a hurry

The problem with this approach as the bearings are custom made, is you
either need to have a machine shop or access to one unless you are lucky
enough to find tubing of just the right sizes.   A machinist who is a
good friend would help<:-))

As to rotators, I have used white lithium grease for years.

73

Roger (K8RI)