[TowerTalk] PIPE ANCHORS

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 30 11:51:44 PDT 2011

On 10/30/11 10:39 AM, Grant Saviers wrote:
> A couple more comments, some not covered before:  (all comments w/o
> engineering calcs - YMMV)
>
> 1.  Square tube is stiffer/stronger than round pipe or wide flange beams
> (I-beams) of same #/ft..

Hmm. I'm not sure this is true.  Bending strength goes as the radius to
the 4th power, and for a given perimeter, a circle has the section
moment.  (sort of like a circle has the most included area for a given
perimeter).

Cross sections with right angles are easier to use in construction,
especially for bolted connections, and a I beam typically has more metal
farther from the center than a square tube (which is why they use that
shape).

However, in "practical sizes commonly sold" it might be true that
squares are stronger than circles.