[TowerTalk] PIPE ANCHORS

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 31 08:44:49 PDT 2011

On 10/31/11 8:02 AM, Bill Gillenwater wrote:
> So, what is the best anchor for sandy soil, like in central Florida?
> 73 Bill K3SV

Either something massive enough that the weight alone holds it in place
(e.g. the big block of concrete)

Or something with enough cross sectional area that it would have to
displace a lot of soil. (the big auger screws or a deadman scheme).

Either works, it's all about what relative costs are.  The trick is
having someone who knows YOUR soil conditions figure out which one will
work.

My experience with sandy soil extends only to trying to make sandcastles
at the beach and watching tent stakes come out when the wind comes up.
I'm thinking that the auger/deadman approach would work, but would have
to be pretty big, compared to, say, driving it into clay. That's where
the local knowledge comes in.