[TowerTalk] PIPE ANCHORS

Randy randy at verizon.net
Mon Oct 31 21:39:19 PDT 2011

I don't think you could find any competent engineer that would say "fill
it with concrete to make it stronger", and be willing to sign off on
it...he or she would specify something that wouldn't fail without doing
that.  I do have it, from somebody I respect, that dropping PVC pipe
inside of the top section of TV-type "push-up poles" will contribute
towards keeping the thing from collapsing. I'd be interested to know
that, if you could magically seal both ends of a tube, having already
packed it with magic dry sand, whether it wouldn't increase the
strength, as far as kinking in a bending moment goes. I'd guess that it
would help, and if that's true, then concrete's compressive strength
wouldn't matter, even if it fractured so badly that it turned to dust.
Concrete is caustic; I don't know how that relates to steel, but as far
as water pipes, it *will* eventually corroded a hole in it, X decades
later. Maybe it's more complicated than mere pH.. I dunno.

73
Randy
KZ4RV