[TowerTalk] Optibeam 12-4

Rick Kourey rkourey at carolina.rr.com
Thu Sep 1 22:19:30 PDT 2011

Scott,

I cannot speak specifically to the OB 12-4 but let me share with you may
experience with OB in general.

I have in use the Optibeam 16-5 5-bander with the 2-element Optibeam 4030
stacked eleven feet above it on an 89 foot Array Solutions/ITS Extreme
crank-up tower for the past six years.  I have experienced great success
with these beams and cracked many pile-ups over the years.  I have pictures
of them on QRZ under my call.  Both have held up mechanically very well and
I have been impressed with their performance.  They meet or exceed the
published specs for each beam.  I chose these beams because they handle more
than legal power and have no traps to be concerned about and they use a
heavy duty square boom along with heavy duty hardware.  Looking at the
specs, even though these beams operate multiple bands, I thought they came
fairly close to the performance of a typical mono-bander of similar size.
And the front to back ratio is exceptional.

I especially enjoy using the 4030 2-element beam as it really plays
extremely well into Europe and the Pacific on 40 meters.  In fact it blows
my mind many nights when I simply call a station with ease and have them
come back to me when a bunch of stations are calling them too.  I work a
great deal of 30 meter CW and I have been impressed with 2-elements on this
band as well.  There has been no pileup that I have not cracked.  But the
art of doing that is knowing where the DX station is listening which often a
challenge.  My 40 meter beam is cut for the SSB portion of the band and the
SWR is as good as OB publishes.  Of course I wished the SWR was flat across
the entire band -- a pipe dream I guess.

You will find Tom, DF2BO and Array Solutions to be very responsive if you
have questions, problems or need parts either by phone or especially
internet.  And I would buy them again with no hesitancy.  No doubt, they are
expensive when compared to some brands in the states.  But I feel I got my
moneys' worth in terms of multi-band performance and especially ruggedness.
And I would love to try their 804020 model.

I hope this helps you with your purchase decision.  Email me if you have
further questions.

Rick Kourey (K4KL)
Marvin/Charlotte, NC
rkourey at carolina.rr.com