[TowerTalk] Aluminum tubing insert overlap...

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Tue Sep 6 08:58:00 PDT 2011

With the goal of shortening the rebuilt antenna, you might consider a
Moxon derivative from your Al farm.  Dave Leeson has published a mod to
the Cushcraft 2L 40m (Visalia & Dayton 2004).

I'm halfway through a scratch build of the his "W6NL 40m Moxon Yagi
120mi/h" (with K6KR, we are building two).  This is V3 of his 40m Moxon
designs.  It is just under 49' tip to tip.

While his book recommends a minimum 2" overlap for sections  (page 4-25)
this design has 3" overlaps for the elements.  Also, as I recommended
earlier for this repair,  the bolting is cross bolts at 90 degrees  (I
think there has been evolution in his designs since the book).  Per the
W6NL design, we are using  8-32 and 10-32 spaced 1"  up to 1.25" od then
1/4-20's spaced 2". The boom sections use 5/16" bolts and 6" overlaps
and 2" bolt spacing.  I think cross bolting has the advantage of
constraining the tube in two axis, eliminating any wiggle from the slip
fit clearance.  For these thin tubes, a modest amount of bolt tension
brings the tubes in contact in two planes.   The orthogonal forces
reduce the distortion by having the bolts fairly close together.

Does your spreadsheet analysis show the maximum stress dimension and
value for each section?  Yagi-Mech only gives the max value.  It seems
to me the the "optimal" mechanical design would have the max stress (and
at some value < yield stress) the same at the root of each section.  The
other thing I've observed in playing with mechanical stress analysis
with yagi-mech is that internal sleeves are "free" from a wind load/ice
perspective.  That makes for a lot more design alternatives.

Grant KZ1W